This quick and easy meal was an original from my very first Whole30. One of my sisters actually visited near the end of my Whole30 and I had made this dish for her. She was so surprised with how much she loved it and still it’s a staple in her house! I’ve made so many spins on this, but the original remains one of my favorites. It’s so simple, yet so tasty.
Having compliant sausage in the fridge at all times during Whole30 allows you to make a quick hearty meal with basically any veggie or starch you have. This one features italian sausage with sauteed peppers and onions served on top of crispy cubed potatoes.
There is no sauce with this one, but I promise you won’t need it. There is so much flavor from caramelizing the peppers and onions in olive oil with fresh garlic and the sausage, that it stands on its own. My original version is with the crispy potatoes, but you could definitely serve this over cauliflower rice, sweet potato rice, spaghetti squash or any rice or pasta if you’re not doing Whole30.
You could honestly make this with any flavor sausage or any veggie. Shredded brussel sprouts or spinach, are a fantastic add. You can top it with an egg, avocado, hot sauce. So many varieties and ways to make it your own and an easy way to get all your veggies in.
For the potatoes, I boil the cubed potatoes for 10 minutes, until just tender and then tossed in olive oil, salt and pepper and onto a cookie sheet. They sit under the broiler until super crispy. Stir em in with the sausage mixture and you’re done! Super fast, super tasty.
I hope you enjoy this one as much as we have over the years. Make it your own, and let me know all the different ways you cook this one up!
Whole30 Sausage & Peppers with Crispy Potatoes
- 1 package Italian sausage sliced if doing Whole30 ensure no sugar is added
- 1 lb baby potatoes cubed
- 2 small/medium bell peppers sliced
- 1 yellow onion sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil add your potatoes and boil for 10 minutes
- Drain the potatoes, transfer to a foil lined baking sheet
- Toss with 1 tbsp olive oil, salt & pepper
- Place potatoes under the broiler, not the highest but the second highest rack and broil while you finish the sausage, you may need to move them to the top rack at the end to get that extra crisp, just watch carefully so they don’t burn!
Sausage, peppers & onions
- Heat a large skillet over med/high heat, add in 1 tbsp olive oil
- Once your olive oil is hot, shimmering not smoking, add in the pepper and onion season with salt & pepper
- Saute your peppers and onions about 5 minutes until just translucent, they’ll continue cooking as we go
- Add in your sliced sausage and stirring occasionally to avoid burning your veggies
- Once your sausage is nice and browned (I like my sausage almost crispy) and your potatoes are nice and crispy add the potatoes to the skillet and stir to mix altogether
- Spoon in a bowl & enjoy!