Make it simple, but make it fancy! This dish looks like it takes forever but comes together so fast! Salty prosciutto and capers are balanced with the chicken and lemon to make a decadent dish! Another whole30, gluten free and dairy free recipe that will surprise you with how tasty it is.
I started with chicken breasts and sliced them in half so they were nice and thin so they cook faster. If you want to skip this step and buy chicken cutlets I’m all for the shortcuts! After slicing the chicken wrap each piece with 1-2 slices of prosciutto depending on the size of your chicken. I was able to use just 3 oz of prosciutto for the 1 lb of chicken I had, but depending on your chicken you may need more. Lay out two pieces of prosciutto, overlapped and just roll the chicken. Easy, peasy!
In a large skillet heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium/high heat. Place chicken in the skillet, careful not to over crowd it. You may need to do this in multiple batches depending on the size of your skillet. Since the chicken is thin it won’t take too long to cook. Cook about 3-5 min per side until just golden brown and set aside. Don’t worry we’ll be simmering the chicken back in the sauce to finish it!
After removing the chicken, pour in the chicken broth and deglaze the pan. Deglaze is a fancy word for “scrape up all the tasty bits” from the chicken and prosciutto. The broth will loosen all those bits that may be stuck to your pan and add great flavor to your sauce. Add in the lemon juice and capers. Stir together and bring to a simmer. In a small container mix arrowroot and cold water (making a slurry) and slowly stir about half into the sauce to thicken. You won’t need all of this as the sauce will thicken when you add the chicken back in to simmer. If it’s not thickening you can add more later.
Bring it together
Add the chicken back into the pan scooping the sauce over the chicken. Add in lemon slices to simmer. Let chicken and sauce simmer for another 5-10 min until the chicken is heated through and sauce is desired thickness. If it’s not thickening up you can add in more of your arrowroot slurry.
Serve it up
This is great over rice, mashed potatoes, any vegetable noodles or rice you desire! I also served it with some roasted asparagus to get some veggies in.
Enjoy! Leave a comment and let me know how you made it yours!
Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken with Lemon Caper Sauce
- 1 lb chicken sliced thin
- 3 oz prosciutto
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup capers
- 4 slices of lemon
- 1 tbsp arrowroot flour
- 1 tbsp cold water
- Lay out two pieces of prosciutto overlapping and wrap around each piece of chicken
- Heat a medium skillet over med/high heat and add olive oil
- Once oil is hot place prosciutto wrapped chicken in the pan and cook about 3-5 min per side until browned - don’t worry if the chicken isn’t fully cooked through as we’ll be returning it to the pan to simmer in the sauce, but since it is sliced thin it won’t take long to cook
- Remove chicken from the pan and poor in chicken broth, deglazing the pan (scraping the crispy bits off the bottom)
- Add in the lemon juice and capers and bring to a simmer
- In a small container shake together the arrowroot and water, slowly stir in about half to thicken the sauce, reserve the rest if you’d like the sauce thicker
- Return the chicken back to the pan, add in the lemon slices and let simmer together 5-10 minutes until chicken is fully cooked (165 degrees internal temp) and sauce has thickened
- Serve over rice, potatoes, vegetable noodles so many options! Enjoy!