These tender carrots are a perfect pasta substitute when doing Whole30 or looking to stay away from gluten! Somehow they don’t have a strong carrot taste which makes them perfect for simply sautéing with garlic and olive oil or pairing with your favorite sauce. For me, it’s a toss up between spaghetti squash and the carrot ribbons and I may be leaning towards the carrot ribbons!
Making the ribbons:
You’re going to want to make a lot of ribbons, I promise! I used about 2.5 lbs of carrots and wish I made more! Starting with a full size carrot, peel the carrot. Then using that same vegetable peeler place the carrot on your cutting board and peel the length of the carrot making ribbons. Keep peeling and turning the carrot until you have nothing left to peel. It’s that simple!
These do take a bit of time with all the peeling, but I promise it is totally worth it. Keep going with all your carrots until you have a big pile of ribbons. I’ll say it again, make way more than you think you’ll need, there won’t be leftovers, I promise!
Cook em up:
These cook in only a few minutes so wait until the rest of your meal is almost done before getting these going. You don’t want mushy carrots, unless over cooked pasta is your thing too; then you do you!
You could make these plain or I typically saute them with garlic to add a little more flavor but if you’re adding a sauce the garlic may not be needed! So whichever way you’re going, garlic or sans garlic, heat a medium/large skillet over med/high heat. Add about 1 tbsp of olive oil and when hot add stir in the garlic until fragrant and then add in your carrots. Toss with tongs every few minutes to evenly cook. They’ll be done in about 5 minutes, or as fast as 3 depending on how much you have in your skillet.
Serve & Enjoy! I hope you like these as much as I do. Leave me a comment and let me know how you made it yours!
- 2.5 lbs Full Size Carrots
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- Salt & Pepper
- Peel the outer skin of the carrots then plan on a cutting board and peel the length of the carrot making ribbons
- Keep peeling and turning the carrot until there’s nothing left to peel
- Heat a medium/large skillet over med/high heat and add olive oil
- Once hot add garlic and stir so as not to burn for ~30 seconds, until fragrant
- Add in carrots, season with salt & pepper, and toss with tongs
- Keep tossing to cook evenly for about 5 minutes, may be done quicker depending on the amount in your skillet, you want the carrots tender but not mushy
- Serve & enjoy!