I present to you, a grown up version of a college favorite, the wing burger. A late night, bar food staple where we went to school in upstate NY. The original was a greasy burger grilled, dipped in wing sauce thrown on a bun with blue cheese. Nothing better to coat the stomach for a typical college night.
Instead of the greasy burger and bun I’ve taken that classic and turned it into a huge Whole30 approved salad that’ll satisfy that wing craving. Yes, a salad, but I promise it’s delicious and packed full of awesome flavors and so so colorful!
The best part about this salad is you can add/delete anything to make it your own, but the wing burger itself should not be messed with! I typically make this with Applegate Farms Turkey burgers that I keep in the freezer at all times, but you can certainly make your own patties, swap for beef, bison, heck a veggie burger would be great as well. If you’re doing Whole30 double check that veggie patty, likely it’s not approved, but if you’re not doing Whole30 have at it!
Before we dive into the recipe a quick tip. The base of this salad is kale and of course you could use any leafy green you’d like, but I have a tip that’ll change kale forever for you! People often say kale is too bitter or rough/sharp to eat, that’s because they’re not massaging it. I know, I know, massaging your food is super strange but I promise it’ll soften the kale and completely change the flavor and texture. So don’t be shy, load that bowl with chopped kale, removing the stems, and massage and massage. The kale will turn a darker green and your hands a bit green as well, that’s when you’ll know you’re done. It takes a few minutes but I promise it is totally worth it! Massage your kale!!
Always check your labels! But here are the brands I used for this recipe:
- Hot Sauce: The New Primal Noble Made Medium Buffalo Sauce
- Ranch Dressing: Whole30’s own brand of Ranch Dressing. If you have not yet tried the dressing lines from Whole30 you are missing out!!
- 365 Sliced Almonds – Whole Foods brand but there are so many options here just read your labels
- Applegate Organic Turkey Burgers
Whole30 Wing Burger Salad
- 1 Applegate Organic Turkey Burger, or burger of choice
- Chopped kale
- Cherry Tomatoes quartered
- Bell Pepper diced
- 1 Radish thinly sliced
- Celery diced
- Shredded Carrots
- Red Onion diced
- 1/2 cup Sweet Potato cubed
- Sliced Almonds
- 1/2 Avocado sliced
- Buffalo Sauce
- Ranch Dressing
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Get your burger cooking! If using the Applegate Turkey Burger they cook right from frozen, I cook on the stove over med/high heat for about 6 minutes per side
- In a separate pan heat a bit of olive oil over medium heat and add your sweet potatoes seasoned with salt and pepper. Stir every few minutes while you continue building your salad.
- While your burger is cooking fill your salad bowl with your chopped kale, don’t be shy, after you massage it it’ll shrink down. Now, massage that kale! Keep massaging, removing any stems, until the kale is a deeper green and softer.
- Continue building your salad, adding the tomatoes, diced pepper, radish, celery, carrots, red onion, sliced almonds, sliced avocado
- Once your burger is done transfer to a small bowl and cover with buffalo sauce, flipping to get the burger completely covered.
- Add your cooked sweet potatoes to the salad, top with the burger, pour on the ranch!
- Voila, a super huge, super filling, delicious wing burger salad!