I love rice, it’s my favorite food…preferably just white rice with salt and butter. But any dish with rice will do. However, I’ve learned after a few rounds of Whole30 that rice actually doesn’t love me back. Not that I can’t or won’t have it, just not all the time like I want to. So when it’s time for Whole30 or just time to lay off the rice, it’s time to make some substitutions. Typically people use cauliflower rice as a substitute but with this one I used sweet potatoes which I think hold their texture better, especially in a dish like this! It’s hearty, spicy, filling and full of veggies!
There is a lot of chopping for this one so I like to get all my vegetables chopped and start those simmering while I chop up the meats. They can cook in separate pans and come back together at the end to simmer.
I started making jambalaya, the rice version that is, when I couldn’t ever get it when we’d go out to eat. I’m allergic to shellfish and every version seems to have shrimp! So, I started making this version at home with just andouille and chicken but you could certainly add shrimp to yours. Never having had it with shrimp I can’t say if it’s missing it, but I can say this one has a lot of flavor and certainly a kick! With the sweet potato as the rice it gives it that little extra sweetness to balance the spice. If you’re looking to tone down the heat even more, a couple options to do that:
- Substitute more chicken and less andouille
- 1 tbsp of cajun seasoning instead of 2
- Lose the andouille altogether and stick with the chicken and cajun seasoning
You could also certainly make this with cauliflower rice, I just wouldn’t use as much chicken broth as it won’t need all that moisture and will perhaps get a bit soggy/watery.
You could make this with regular rice as well, you’re just going to want to up the broth. It will take longer to simmer and for the rice to get tender.
You could even make this vegetarian, skip the chicken and sausage and use vegetable broth instead of chicken. With all the veggies and the cajun seasoning it’ll still pack that same creole punch.
Just like chili this one is better the next day! I hope you enjoy this, it’s definitely a staple in our house. Leave a comment and let me know how you made it yours!
Whole30 Chicken Jambalaya
- 2 large sweet potatoes cubed and riced
- 2 peppers any color diced
- 1 onion diced
- 1 pint of cherry tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 lb chicken thighs cut into bite size pieces
- 12 oz andouille sausage sliced
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 2 tbsp cajun seasoning - this is spicy so adjust to your tastes
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat and add your olive oil
- Once hot add the peppers and onions, season with salt & pepper, stirring occasionally until veggies are just tender
- Add in your fresh tomatoes and let simmer until they begin to soften and burst, add in your garlic and stir
- Add the sweet potato rice and cajun seasoning and stir letting simmer while you get the meat browning
- In another skillet over med/high heat add your chicken and sausage and stir until chicken is cooked through
- Once the chicken and sausage are cooked stir into your rice mixture and add the chicken broth, stir to combine
- Let simmer stirring occasionally until the sweet potato rice is tender but not mushy - this was about 15 minutes, but could take longer or shorter just taste your rice every so often!
- Serve & Enjoy!