Lamb is one of those meats not many people will venture out for, and I have to say they are missing out. I usually go for lamb at least a couple times a month. Pretty much always ground meat, but a lamb chop is always fantastic as well. Lamb definitely has a distinct taste, but it’s not gamey. With the right seasoning and pairings it’s so tender and delicious.
You’ll find it often on mediterranean or middle eastern menus. Same with harissa, which is a spicy and sometimes smoky chili pepper paste. It packs so much flavor and pairs so nicely with the lamb. If you have not tried harissa and can tolerate some spice, you definitely need to add this to your list. The sweetness of the lamb paired with the heat of the harissa is a match made in heaven. You can adjust the heat by adding more or less harissa based on your liking. You can find this in most grocery stores, I’ve used the Haven’s Kitchen and Cava versions, both Whole30 compliant. If you can’t find a paste already made you may be able to find the harissa seasoning which you can mix with olive oil to create your own paste.
For this dish, that combo is then topped on some sauteed crispy potatoes to further balance the heat. Oh and some kale stirred in for good measure, because you need your greens. You could definitely sub out the potatoes for rice, cauli rice, sweet potato rice or any sort of base you can think of. As for the kale, if that’s not your thing switch to spinach, green beans, shredded brussels, any of those will do to pack in those extra nutrients.
Go ahead and get fancy and top with a fried egg! Avocado is always a welcome addition or if you’re not doing Whole30 some hummus would be fantastic.
This is another quick, easy and flavorful meal that’s Whole30 compliant. Easy to whip up any night of the week or at lunch during those work from home days. Leave a comment and let me know how you made it yours!
Ground Lamb Harissa with Potatoes & Kale
- 5 oz Harissa Paste I used a whole Haven’s Kitchen pouch
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 lb baby potatoes quartered
- 6-8 oz kale
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium/high heat, once hot add 2 tbsp olive oil
- When olive oil is hot add potatoes, season with salt & pepper and saute while you prepare your lamb
- Heat another skillet over med/high heat and add your lamb stirring to break apart and cook until browned
- Once your lamb is cooked add in your kale stirring until just wilted
- Add in the harissa stirring to combine
- Once your potatoes are nice and crispy you can add to the lamb or into a bowl and top the potatoes with your lamb and kale mixture